Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words View Post
June beat me to it.

The fact that one of Qaddafi's sons and a couple - three? - of his grandchildren were murdered just a day or so probably doesn't help.

Honestly? I truly believe that the West in general, and the US in particular, is about to pay a very heavy price for its arrogance (not to mention the cold blooded murder of innocents).

Words

Putting this into the context of having your own kids or grand kids killed because someone hates you brings it home. I remember when one of Qaddafi's daughters was killed a few years ago and thinking about this. When Saddam's sons were killed, I know that due to their adult history with violence against women was on my mind- but so was "they were someone's child." What did their mother feel?

My emotions are spinning over this today- but maybe later I can get it together to respond to Heart's questions. A discussion from these perspectives is really important. How many more generations will be hurt by terrorism and what gives it life? Then we can consider all those killed by Tim Mc Vey's (our home grown terrorist that took out a day care center along with his intended target) twisted mind and imbalance- which I really think is at the bottom of so much of these things. Might not have one thing to do with any of the political and economic variables we so often project causation upon.

It is difficult for me due to having a family and friends link to the Towers on 9/11. Yet, on the other side- I always feel just plain sadness with all that has happened both before and after 9/11 (speaking as a US American).

I imagine that in the UK, there are many that feel about the same way about Tony Blair as we do about George W. Bush. And your country has also been through these kinds of attacks and continued threat.

Something that has always bothered me is our (US) arrogance in thinking that we are any different than so many countries and peoples that have lived with this kind of violence almost every day for many, many years- just a way of life to wonder if your kid will come back from going and having a soda with friends. I don’t think I can even begin to understand this on the level other people do in the world.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: