View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #29
Vlasta
BFP Sentinels

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 1,002 Times in 286 Posts
Vlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
Vlasta

It's sad that you feel you will never be accepted in the United States although I, as a European (albeit from the very western part of the Continent rather than the east), understand the disconnect with the outlook and way of life in the US.

I can offer no advice other than in relation to your statement that you accepted the current situation a long time ago. Never accept it.
Similarly, never feel the need to be anyone other than who you are nor be anything but proud of your history and origin. It makes you who you are - and that's an immensely positive thing.
Hi,
It’s nice to see you around here, it has been a long time since we met and I hope everything it’s great on your side of world.

In the reference to your post. There is a great difference in my situation and I understand your feelings about what I wrote. English is your native language just with British accent and visiting the US is great. My situation it’s a completely different ballgame.

I came to the US with post grad degree, if my degree was from the Western Europe I would been ok. However, because it was from communist country it was worth nothing. I had two options work at a grocery store or go back to school. I choose the second. I was a single mother working odd jobs and attending school. It wasn’t so hard since I already been trough once, except of course my English classes. I had a tutor and God only knows how I got through with these classes. When I returned into my field, I have to work twice as hard to prove myself. At my workplace I have no problem, I am liked by my coworkers and they respect me for my knowledge and my skills.

I will respectfully disagree and stand by my statement “I will never be accepted in the US “. What is my reason for? I live like that on daily bases when I encounter strangers, which they do not know anything about me. For example, when I make a phone call soon as a person on the other end hears my thick accent they attitude changes, not always, but majority times. How many of us while calling a customer service and realized we are talking someone in India have immediate though geez I want to speak American? At work when I am doing procedure I get questions like “did you done this before “? And I could go on. With a new immigration law, it is even worse. I am not an illegal here, I work, pay taxes, do volunteer jobs and donate. How I got here, it is another story.

In addition, I am aware of the fact that Americans say if you do not like it get the hell out of here. Actually, I would if I could. Yet it is easy to say than do. I have a grown son here and even with him and I there were problems. we were estranged for some time , I was thinking I lost him forever once again due to our cultural differences . I left Prague when he was two years old.

I do not feel the need to be anyone than who I am. However, I am living in this society and it is my responsibility to be adjusted. I can’t expect that America will be adjusted to my background. Like many foreign people are living in the US and don’t want to speak English. WTH ?

I am proud of my history and origin; I survived a lot in the Eastern Europe and communists hushed up. I really don’t think that West had any idea what was happening in our countries. I lost my awesome father thanks to communist. As long I live, I will always see that tragic moment.

I am not sure if this mumble makes sense and I am wishing you good luck if you can decode my writing. I hope, I clarify somewhat my original post and I am sorry it’s so long, but I can’t just sum up this in a couple sentences. Also, please do not interpret this reply as being defensive, mean spirited or trying to be victim. Is reality to me and I was hoping I can express myself in my community .

Hugs to ya and thanks for reply.
Vlasta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vlasta For This Useful Post: