Old 05-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #51
Pretty Woman

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Trying to be true to myself

Pretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST Reputation
Default My Definition

Let me start by saying that I don't believe that altruism exists. What does that have to do with unconditional love you may wonder? In my mind they are inextricably linked since both assume that the person on the giving end doesn't really get anything from it and that in many ways the person on the receiving end can act as they please, for better or for worse. We are humans, blinded by our true motives, looking always for some deeper recognition or validation, basically just wanting to feel relevant on this planet and in this life.
So...I've come to the conclusion that the only person I can unconditionally love is me. And I don't mean in a narcissitic way. I mean that when I mess up, get angry, act out, am selfish, that I can investigate my true motives and acknowledge them, set things straight, give myself a little break and resolve to not keep making the same mistakes over and over again. It's only in that way that I have been able to begin to see clearly that others are also human beings, that it is truly difficult to exact change from the inside out and that I can't ever control another person by my unconditional love dressed up as a doormat, a bossy wog or in any other way that I choose to call things love. I agree with Jo, unconditional love for another is meted out on a daily basis...disagreement, discussion, compromise and sometimes moving on.
Pretty Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pretty Woman For This Useful Post: