How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyLeo View Post

Interesting when I read the part about being a "cop out", etc, I actually started thinking about how I have a hard time with the concept of being with someone forever. I've never been able to say it to anyone. Like "I will love you forever". I think it is unfair to promise "forever" and maybe "unconditional love". When I hear people say "we will be together forever", my gut reaction is not "woohoo, yay for you", it is more like: "right" *eyeroll*. Maybe I am cynic or a realist or whatever you want to call me... but I'm not sure I'm a subscriber. Life happens, people change, feelings change, etc. If I promise someone -forever- and then it turns out to be -forever for 5 years- there is this sense of having lied, or letting someone down or betrayal.

I'd rather say "I'm in *this* as long as we are happy and it *works*

People have told me that this school of thought is kind of like a "cop out"

Maybe it is...I'm on the fence.
I hear where you are at.
So I have a question.
Would you ever get married?

I am asking because I had a lot of the same thoughts you do, and then the past five years (which went by in a blink but in retrospect can seem like a forever) have led me down a path with somebody that I felt like *forever* was a possibility.

No worries, I am still a cynic because with a terminal illness forever for me means something a lot different than it does to most people.

Mind you, if a miracle comes and I live another thirty years? I think I'd still find myself married to Cal.

Have I confused you yet? Because I confused me.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post: