The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by violaine View Post
the best culinary gourmet egg replacer is called "ener-g", and it is awesome. i will also use flax meal, which adds moisture to baked goods, and you can reduce some of the oil if you like. walnut oil is great for baking. i made a totally vegan banana walnut cake in nordic ware [bake ware], and the physician said it was like "a piece of art". not to mention healthy- low sodium, fat [the good kind!], and it's balanced with the flours/milk. his staff loved it. just used bananas, flours: soy, fava, sorghum, chickpea; ener-g egg replacer, soy and/or coconut milk, flax meal, walnut oil, local and buckwheat honey, brown sugar, and a bit of vanilla.
I've never used ener-g egg replacer. And I have a nice recipe for a vegan banana bread that's extremely simple:

Quote:
Ingredients:
------------------------------------------------------

3 medium sized ripe bananas
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts (walnut, pecan, etc.)
3/4 cup of sugar

Instructions:

Mash bananas. Add the peanut butter, salt, baking soda, sugar and nuts. Stir together until combined. Add flour and stir to combined. Pour into greased baking pan (use soy butter for this). Use a small casserole dish or a 9 x 12 pan to ensure it's evenly baked.

Let bread bake for one hour at 350F in oven. Then let cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan.

Additional comments:

This is a quick recipe and one I do by hand since we don't have a blender or masher. The bread lasts about 3 days max here (there's only two of us) so it goes quickly. You could easily freeze extra portions. Additionally, this recipe is great if you freeze ripe bananas and want to use them later. Just let them dethaw for about 4-8 hours and then use them.

You can make the recipe without nuts but the bread will feel denser. If you do make it without nuts shorten the time in the over to about 40-45 minutes as the bread will bake faster.

I've also added vanilla and/or cinnamon for an additional hidden flavouring to the bread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surayna View Post
I was a vegetarian for years in my younger days...

Working hard on getting back to it, but still like my comfort foods from when I was a kid.

Would LOVE to eventually go vegan - maybe some day.
Many of those same comfort foods can be vegan/vegetarian. What specifically were your favourites?

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post: