Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
My gf has told me to tell her, soon to be 4 year old child, that I am her stepparent!

We are not even married just in a relationship. Does anyone else out there have any advice for me, regarding how I should manage telling this kid I am her stepparent, when I don't really know much about kids.
Why does she want you to do that? Does a 3- year-old, almost 4-year-old even know what that means (the word step-parent)?

Dos she mean that she wants the child to call you dad or...?

When my kids were young, I was so careful about the length of time I dated someone before I even introduced them and then, what my kids called my boyfriends (before I came out). I usually had them call them by their first name or whatever my BF felt comfortable with.

Step-parent implies a level of permanency. Kids get attached so easily.

Are you comfortable with the child feeling like you are his/her parent? If you have any doubts, don't do it!

I would encourage you to have some real in-depth conversations with your GF about why she wants this and understand where she is coming from.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post: