Old 12-23-2009, 02:52 AM   #23
Niteshift

How Do You Identify?:
Butch woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Hers

Niteshift Has the BEST ReputationNiteshift Has the BEST ReputationNiteshift Has the BEST ReputationNiteshift Has the BEST ReputationNiteshift Has the BEST ReputationNiteshift Has the BEST ReputationNiteshift Has the BEST ReputationNiteshift Has the BEST ReputationNiteshift Has the BEST ReputationNiteshift Has the BEST ReputationNiteshift Has the BEST Reputation

Totally opposite of my usual yearly vow to not go anywhere remotely shopping oriented after the day before Thanksgiving I went this last weekend to the big city...not really, but much larger than the tiny little town in which I am currently located.

I drove 70 miles, not aware of what day it was--as Niteshift is not just a name, it is a way of life, I often am a bit confused as to what Day I'm actually experiencing. The last weekend before that big day...the day that all proudly and in bright lights proclaim that "Jesus is the reason for the season y'all!" on a tiny sign nearly hidden behind large power-air inflated Santa, Frosty, Rudolph, the Grinch and various other Christmas icons. One of the last days to run out and buy things not needed for people that are not necessarily even liked. To purchase cheap toys that will be broken in less than the time it took to buy them. And the shouted "Charge (it)" to be echoed throughout the coming year.

Okay. Stop. Deep breath. I went for my massage...aaahhhh, sweet relief. Nathan has amazing hands with a nearly innate sense of where I hide the little stress boulders in my shoulders and back. Late lunch at a little restaurant with a book to keep me company. Fantastic waitress...making eye contact, smiling and at my request made a not the most expensive item on the menu suggestion. The chicken avocado sandwich was superb. The apple pie a la mode with caramel...amazing.

Okay so what does my Saturday have to do with the holidays and specifically holiday blues? Even though I'm a long way from home, I trying to be happy. I treated myself to the massage (I work hard and a lot)...I tipped Nathan well. Leisurely lunch. I smiled and chatted with the waitress and tipped well. While driving around and trying to decide when den of madness to go into to find a potential gift, the automatic doors opened and out comes the influx of the latest people that have put down their money and are admiring their purchases and not paying attention to the four wheeled death machines that wander around parking lots. Driving slowly anyway, I stopped...the lady walked by and just happened to glance up and see me...the "oh shit, I've just stepped out in front of a vehicle" look crossed her face and I just smiled and waved her on across...she smiled back and mouthed "thank you". The other folks having just parked their own chariot amble across and I flash the same "Merry Christmas" smile back at them. Guess what, they smiled and waved too. Throughout the shopping day (about an hour, all told---sorry, I just can't take it) I maintained my positive attitude, tamping down frustration and impatience. Once I made to Anthony the cashier, I made eye contact and smiled at him as well, made small talk.

Maybe I did, maybe I didn't but I like to think that on a stressful seasonal holiday day for anyone employed in the service industry my few moments of kindness may have made a difference in their day. I know that when I'm at work it does for me.

World peace. Ending hunger. And all the other lofty goals spouted by Miss America contestants are nice and I do hope that one day they come true. However, for now, I hope that knowing someone is thinking warm thoughts of you will suffice.
Niteshift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Niteshift For This Useful Post: