View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 08:02 PM   #3069
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I started this before and lost interest. I tried it again a few days ago, and while I am not loving it, I am able to stick with it. It's called The Possessed: Adventures with Russian Books and the People Who Read Them. Elif Batuman is the author. She writes, or used to write, for The New Yorker. And her second book, a novel, was widely and well reviewed. It was a Pulitzer finalist. It's called The Idiot. From the reviews, some of it sounded so like my twenties that I decided not to check it out. I feel no need to revisit that decade.

The Google books blurb:
Quote:
Batuman takes the reader on a journey both literary and physical as she traces the evolution of her fascination with Russian literature across the globe and several centuries. This is a deeply funny, fiercely intelligent portrait of the not-always-rational pursuit of knowledge.
I can see that some of the situations are humorous, but deeply funny, no.