View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
firie
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

firie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
First off -- much of the world is anything but post-gender, so although I am a proponant of a global persepctive, in this thread I suppose we'd have to look at the "post-gender world" with a somewhat narrower focus.

Do you use the term "woman" as part of your identity?

Kinda, but not really. I'm a girl or more preferably a lady. Or a bitch, sometimes. I think of that Neil Diamond song and, well, I am the person that never, ever really wants to "be a woman soon." Woman, as self-prescribed identity, has and always does feel odd on me, for some reason, unless and only when I am his woman.

What does it mean to you to use/not use the term "woman?"

I don't know, really. I really don't like that Neil Diamond song. Talk about squicking.

Does tension/discomfort exist for you in using the term "woman" together with butch, femme, queer, or any of your other identity definers? If so, why?

It's feels better with femme or queer, but again, I wouldn't say that I am a queer woman, wouldn't use it. I would default to queer femme or just queer.

If you do not use the term "woman" how did you come to the decision not to?

I don't refer to myself as a woman typically, but like I said girl, lady, or bitch, or whatever. I don't consciously in dialogue say something like, "I am a woman and that is how I identify."

How is "woman" different from "female" (and I don't mean in the academic sense, but in the lived experience sense).

I sometimes have the same issue with "female," just a discomfort. Female just feels so scientific, and patriarchal. And I don't know why other words feel better. Woman, to me, is a trope.

What does "woman" mean?

Means different things to different people. I am not sure quite what it means to me.

What does "woman" not mean?

I don't really know. Someone said not man, but then that is my whole problem with woman. I want a new word and one that doesn't imply opposite of man in any way in its historical or current meaning. Even when reclaimed and redefined. I want a new word.

There are many other questions that could be asked, and by all means ask them.
Posting here or my message will be too short.
firie is offline   Reply With Quote