Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

Thanked 32,009 Times in 9,947 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
I went to Barnes & Noble, this afternoon, and bought two more books, which I hope are really, really good. One is from Obama's summer read list: The Nickel Boys (author: Colson Whitehead).

The other is a book called Evvie Drake Starts Over, by new author - Linda Holmes, who also is the host of an NPR pod cast -- Pop Culture Happy Hour. She also appears regularly on other NPR shows, including Weekend Edition, Before NPR, and All Things Considered.

I'm looking forward to reading both books.
I've not even opened up The Nickel Boys yet, but oh my gosh, the book by Linda Holmes is really good. I hope to finish reading it, by tomorrow. I don't want to spoil this book for any other reader, but the novel broaches subjects, for example, like performative roles people perform for their own sake or for the sakes of others.

I had no idea that Holmes would write about such things in her first work of fiction, but performative roles people play is not really any type of fiction.

It's an interesting field of study, for me, due to my communication studies background in Higher Ed. Role play, whether it's intentional or not, is one way human's communicate to others in performative type ways.

I like Linda Holmes first novel for the way she uses her novel's character narrative's as a way for others to explore the obscurity behind performative role play (why people mask their behaviors, etc).

I'm only half way through the Holmes novel, but I'm giving it the best rating possible because it's an very enjoyable and interesting story to read.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: