View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #536
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
MAJOR TRIGGER WARNING!!! TRIGGER WARNING!!!

Well, I watched the first episode of the tv mini-series, “Sharp Objects” (HBO), and I must say, I was completely entranced and glued to the screen. The actress, Amy Adams, who plays the reporter, Camille Preaker, “a troubled reporter who returns to her hometown to cover the murders of two young girls and confront her own formidable childhood demons”(1), is awesome. This is an atmosphere piece, known as a slow burner thriller, in the almost Faulkneresque way that only the south of the USA can tell a good story. It is beautifully filmed. It is based on a book by Gillian Flynn, who also wrote the famous “Gone Girl” (was #1 on New York Times best sellers list!) which was also adapted into a film. Curious that Amy Adams physically resembles the author Gillian Flynn!

So, in a way, it is told entirely from a woman’s perspective, and as such, is entirely a feminist film - which really gets you into the mind and heart of a woman, and other women (and how these women shaped each other!!!) - “With its theme of female complicity—the damage women do to each other—Sharp Objects could hardly feel more timely.”(1).

Camille drinks heavily, smokes, etc. and is utterly so not getting her act together. There are all these flashbacks, memories of things she ran away from, and are now resurfacing in spades as she goes back to a small town called Wind Gap where she hailed from (complete with a really dysfunctional family, especially the mother!) to cover the story of a murder of a girl and starting off to search for another missing girl (remember, this is just the first episode). So, it is a murder mystery crime psychological drama - sort of! Just right up my alley.
(P.S. I have the mobi of “Sharp Objects”, so I know how it ends - grinz.)

(1) There is an interesting article in Vanity Fair about Gillian Flynn, about how she “Isn’t Going to Write the Kind of Women You Want":

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...women-you-want

Wherein Gillian says, “It’s about what happens to women when they have to swallow down their stories—and what happens to that rage. And it feels like a cautionary tale at this moment when women are finally telling their stories, but we still have a president who’s a pussy-grabber. Despite a lot of brave, strong women, it’s still a strong current in America.”
(my emphasis)

What I really like about this TV series, is that it clearly and realistically shows all of the tragic hypocrisy that many women make of their lives, all the while by pretending to be perfect - having perfectly meaningless verbal exchanges that are so superficial as to make you wanna throw up and gag. God knows how if one tries to speak truth to power to those women, how they try and censor you or even call you a bully, when that it is the last thing you are, but really it is they who are the bullies - because they will do and say any and everything to silence you. (I trust you understand that I can’t stand bullies and spot them really quick - the bully is the one who is always suggesting how you “should” be - perfect - and they always try to control ya, yikes - and no one can live like that, without getting physically sick. I never trust people who come across as having perfect relations with all those family people; yeah right - lala land!) I really get Gillian Flynn, as I too come from a not-so-perfect childhood; and, as soon as I could, I took off, and I have no regrets about that, none at all.
I don't think it was the Vanity Fair article but I read somewhere in an interview with Flynn that nobody wanted to publish Sharp Objects UNTIL after Gone Girl turned out to be such a good seller! She was told countless times by publishers that nobody was ready to read about "bad women" or something to that effect. This airs on HBO btw
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post: