How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,435 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

i'm muslim but i go to a wonderful ucc church. it's one of the biggest churches in the area and is one of the most welcoming churches i've ever experienced. the denomination as a whole tends to be pretty liberal and welcoming, although only a fraction of ucc churches actually have an open and affirming policy in place. our church has some issues - many people apparently left when they adopted the ona policy and we still don't have gender neutral bathrooms, for example (i'm working on that). but generally speaking people are very kind and supportive there.

my experience of the ucc is that people are committed to being on a spiritual journey together to follow jesus, but that they are extremely open-minded when it comes to liberal theological interpretations, disagreements, etc. - just because we support one another doesn't mean we have to agree. they are also very much committed to social justice and building/creating change in the local community.

i have many friends who are queer and muslim and go to unitarian universalist and/or unity churches (some are ordained in the uu). i've had great experiences in both kinds, and also with the society of friends/quaker groups.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post: