Old 12-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #212
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathexis View Post
Guess I was a bit worried in the office. He told me the WPATH documentation he needed before going any further. You wrote that it concerned you when he seemed unfamiliar with WPATH. Please explain.

Didn't ask the questions you recommended, He seemed reluctant to discuss it any more in depth before receiving the WPATH and other medical records? Will print out the list for Jan. visit. Do many plastic surgeons take telephone questions?

You mentioned that you were familiar with other medical centers. I live in NY way up near Montreal, Canada. The closest large US cities are Burlington Vermont (3 hrs.) and Albany New York (5-6 hrs) . Yes, I truly live in the boondocks of a small dairy town. Don't ask how or why this Chicagoan got stuck here. I'll tell you sometime, if you're curious.

Thanks for all the advice. I'd be lost without it.
Btw, do you know of any trans support groups in either city. We are saving up for Albany, though.
I'm sorry, I assumed you knew what WPATH was. WPATH informs the Standards of Care (medical care) for trans people. It is where all things spring when it comes to care for trans people. I looked back and I can't tell from your post if he had never heard of WPATH, or just wanted a letter from your therapist.

http://www.wpath.org/

Why are you saving for Albany?

I have to be honest with you. The number of people doing top surgeries have increased quite a bit in the last few years and I have not kept up with them. I could talk to you about bottom surgeons all day long, but not top surgeons.

I found this, however:

http://www.topsurgery.net/surgeons/medicare.htm

I would not assume all of these people still take Medicare and I would not assume that this list is up to date. There are probably more surgeons who take Medicare. I can tell you that Berverly Fischer no longer take Medicare.

Call your closest University hospital and see if they have a surgical trans health program. If they do, you can be pretty sure they will take your Medicare. It will be harder to find a private practitioner who takes Medicare since they pay so poorly.

Are you on FB? If so, the best thing you can do is join a top surgery FB group and the guys there will have everything you need to know. I can find out the name of the "main one", if you want. I bet that within one post of giving your location someone there can tell you the closest person to you who will take Medicare.

With all that said, it seems that you haven't asked the questions you need to ask your current provider in order to rule him out. But, his reluctance to discuss is a huge red flag. Why wouldn't a trans provider assume you would ask how many surgeries he has done and to ask to see pictures? YOU are the consumer. He is providing the service. I can't help but wonder if he has only done a couple and doesn't have any pictures. Anyway, I wouldn't move any further with this guy if he didn't answer these questions to my satisfaction. Don't let him intimidate you.

Remember, you want a surgeon who specializes, or at least has some decent experience in doing FTM top surgeries. Nothing else matters. Trans people often feel like they have to take crumbs. That we should be thankful that there is someone out there who will do our surgeries. Well, guess what? Shit has changed and there are now qualified people who will do them, who care about our community and want to do them. Unfortunately, some trans people still don't have a choice, based on their location, and that sucks (no money for travel). Insurance is often a sticking point, too. However, don't feel that you have to accept this provider without at least getting some of your questions answered to your satisfaction. With all of this said, I am not saying that one shouldn't accept a provider who is new to it and is eager to learn...sometimes that is the best you can get. Just DON'T forget to ask about free revisions. Do all your research about other providers before you next appt. with him so you know your options going in.

Good luck.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: