Old 12-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #14
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Wow what a great discussion.

It is really hard to know how best to deal with this and at first glance and i went back and forth. But, after thinking about both ways and how to deal with it, i believe, like the ones that posted this already, the school did what they thought was best.

Like Kobi said, what if he had committed suicide due to the bullying and no one had told the parents, then who would be "up the creek". The teacher knew....it's either do something or stay silent. As with any profession, there is an inherent responsibility to step forward, even when it is uncomfortable or you are not sure if it is best. With good intensions, it is best practice not to stay silent when you feel someone may be in danger (talking about the bullying here).

What if those bullies had beat that kid to death or anything like that. Again, who would be the fall guy? The teacher who knew the "why" and did nothing.

As someone else said, the teacher could just say the child is bullied and left it at that, but I still feel it was good for the school to explain what they knew (as the child made it public at school). It may have been diff if the child had told a teacher in private or the teacher suspected. He didn't seem to want his parents to know but did want the school peers to know. It would have got back to the parents eventually anyway. Come on, like me, many have been on school boards and the PTO. Nothing is a secret.

IMO at least it is being discussed, handled the best that they (school officials) can. The child is a minor the ultimate responsibilty for that child is the parents and if they mess this up, the state.

I think the school did right. Again, MHO
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post: