View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #20
greeneyedgrrl

How Do You Identify?:
femme/queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her

Thanked 3,267 Times in 835 Posts
greeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
From the above I am guessing that one or two negative comments from students were made and the school is worried that bullying WILL occur. If you notice no where does the article say that the child has been bullied.

Unless someone was going to call the parents of every child who gets "negative feedback" and who they assume will continue to get negative feedback, then no, I don't think this child's parents should have been contacted. The boy's thoughts and feelings are his own to share with who he wants, when he wants (including who he sexually desires). It was not the school's information to share.

I think it was the school's anxiety that this kid would end up being bullied/hurt and that the parents would be angry with the school for "letting this happen". I think they pulled the trigger early so the parents wouldn't hold them accountable. The problem is that taking this easy way out means that they took away a child's CHOICE to not share something with his parents until he was ready.
^^what hy said. i agree... and i want to reiterate that even if there was bullying based on his orientation, it could've been done without outing him. the focus should stay on the unacceptable (bullying) behavior, not on the orientation/whatever of the target.
greeneyedgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greeneyedgrrl For This Useful Post: