Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,619 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I have lost everything a couple times in my life but through my own stupidity, not a disaster like this. I honestly cannot grasp the enormity of what you face. It is impaling...and something that has no fix. Its a real loss, not just a lost grasp.

The important matter is that you and your family, including your cat, are ok. At least I hope the cat is ok. You said you went in to get it, but didnt say you did. But the LIFE in the home is ok. Thank god.

Material things, like sofas, linens, clothes, will be rebuilt. Items of sentimental value, are gone forever, but the sentiments are not. Their memories and the hold they have in our hearts remain. As you rebuild, find new items to resemble and mark those sentiments. In fact, use that as an activity of healing for you and your wife and daughter. Go scavenge in garage sales, markets, do scrap booking, or sculpting, make paintings or jewelry that recall those lost things that held memories or hearts. This is a long term, down the road kind of healing art.

For now, you must sit with this and feel the loss. Let it sift thru you and your family and hurt. The grief must be felt. A dear friend of mine had a barn fire, and lost 29 of her horses. I saw her the next morning, only 5 hours after the fire had been extinquished. I hope to never see that look on anyone's face again, as I watched her walk toward me, from the rubble of the barn and carcasses...she surrounded herself with friends she trusted because she was on remote. She was so overwhelmed she could not think nor feel. It was days before she could sleep. And weeks before she could take a phone call. Find yourself your Captain...someone who can orchestrate help for you if you yourself cannot do so. Its OK to be helped.

The child will need to be with her friends and other family and it might be a long while before she feels safe again. She was sleeping, yes, when this happened? In the safety of her bed? Therapy will be good... especially art therapy....
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post: