The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I'm not exactly sure where to put this, because I didn't see a news or legal issues thread, so I figured I should just start one.

I heard about this a couple days ago and finally found an article regarding the new identification restrictions going on with airlines. It may be nothing to most people, but for trans- persons who often times their ID ( DL/ Birth certificate, etc) does not match their physical appearance, this could become an issue.

Just a heads up so folks can be prepared when travelling.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...cials_enf.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
This is a non-issue.

It has nothing to do with your physical appearance. It has to do with what is printed on your identification and what is on your boarding pass and if the photo matches your presentation.

Just be sure that when you reserve a ticket you're using the same gender which is printed on your ID and you're good to go.

I flew on Monday and had zero issues with this change even though half the time I travel people mistake me for male. I did, however, encounter a very aggressive physical search at the gate before boarding my flight. Unrelated, as far as I could tell, though still quite uncomfortable.
As someone who travels regularly, I can attest as to how much of a non-issue this is. My passport still has my birth name and gender on it with a picture pre-transition. I have never been stopped, pulled aside or questioned about it. I have heard that TSA has had some sensitivity training on this and if there is a need to do a body pat down (e.g., refusal to go into the body x-Ray machine) you can choose which gender of personel you want to pat you down (based on comfort level).

That said, however, as a white guy I would bet that this has more to do with my skin colour and name than anything else.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post: