View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #53
CherryFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
On good days, in love. On bad days--well, there are no bad days with hym...

CherryFemme Has the BEST ReputationCherryFemme Has the BEST ReputationCherryFemme Has the BEST ReputationCherryFemme Has the BEST ReputationCherryFemme Has the BEST ReputationCherryFemme Has the BEST ReputationCherryFemme Has the BEST ReputationCherryFemme Has the BEST ReputationCherryFemme Has the BEST ReputationCherryFemme Has the BEST ReputationCherryFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Default Quitting...

I've tried many things, the patch, that nasty gum, and even cold turkey. OMG I nearly killed myself.

What is your remedy??? Or Your Game plan?

What a great thread!

I am not an addicted smoker, but I am an addict-- to the gum.

Before you laugh or think I am kidding, I would like to state my case:

My ex bought the gum in 1999 in order to stop smoking. She hated it and said she was going to throw it out. I was horrified because the gum was $75.00. I decided to chew the gum rather than to waste it. (Yes, I am very cheap) Now, 10 years later, I have a full blown addiction to the gum and if I do not chew it in the AM with coffee or after a meal or when I am stressed out-- I fall apart. Seriously. This is a nicotine addiction and I have shame I cannot stop. I wish I could say I did not like the taste, but I rather like burnt toast and when I chew it, the gum reminds me of my cooking.

Now that I am out about my "problem"-- I would like to stop. The gum is expensive and I know that I should stop.

I have tried the fake e-cig that Strappie mentioned, but I have never smoked cigarettes, so it did not help. I have tried the patch once and it was useless.

What scares me is the new information about how the gum increases oral cancers. I am also concerned about stomach cancer since I do not spit the gum out; I always end up swallowing it. (oh the horror!)

Thank you for Just G and Sam for their stories of "cold turkey". I have only tried to do that twice-- but perhapse it is time for me to try again.

I also like Wonder Woman's suggestion of hypnotherapy. I never thought about that as an option. (I have tried to get chantix, but the non-smoking clinic did not take me seriously...even when I explained to them I chew + swallow up to 20 squares of 4mg nicotine chews a day.)

Great idea for a thread, Strappie--
Thank you all for the great suggestions and I look forward to watching everyone's progress!

~CF
CherryFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CherryFemme For This Useful Post: