View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #1037
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelt View Post
Are you doing these with bodyweight, or are you adding weight?

Are you doing behind the head or front squats? One leg, two leg?

Inquiring minds and all…
In all the gyms I've worked in, way back in the day when I was a real athlete and trainer, weight or no weight, it's a squat.

In my particular case at the moment I'm doing 3 or so sets of 20-25 with just body weight but changing foot position for each set. In the last couple of days I've added some weight...in a rucksack, strapped snugly for a couple of added sets of 20-25. If I still owned an olympic bar I'd use that (it weighed 20kg on it's own) but alas those body-building days are over and I let all the kit go many moons ago.
A simple ole broom handle is a good substitute to get used to working with a bar and front/back positions.

I use both legs, my days as a flamingo are over! Not to mention my knees don't play the game solo...they're a duet at all times.
Good form is keeping a straight spine and not allowing yer knees to go below 90deg.

Arms: Usually behind head, held out front or some such. Might even do some sort of chest flye style arm moves if I feel like it.

In between sets I stretch out m'hams; as a daily cyclist they get real tight.

In between each couple of sets, if I'm feeling inclined to give m'self pain, I'll throw in a 60-90sec plank or two.

I choose to do this because it's something I can do whilst home, watching trashy tv later in the evening. ExMrsD and me used to do 500+ crunches per CSI episode

I'm loving the incremental benefits already. Hopefully there'll be a positive effect when the inevitable next chest infection settles in.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: