Old 06-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Both my parents grew up very poor....children of the depression.

But from the time my Dad got out of the army, he was a banker. Eventually, he was an Executive Vice President for a bank here in Austin when I was in elementary/jr high/high school. We had money, but nobody knew it. And my Mom made all of my clothes.

NOW, I'm very proud of that fact, but when I was in school, I was ashamed of that and was made fun of because my clothes weren't store-bought. "Things" became important to me.

Then I married a man from a family with lots of money, and, for a time, I became one of those snobby rich wives who thought they were better than those people who make their own clothes. When I look back on that time in my life, it makes me nearly sick to my stomach over what I became ~ like my mother-in-law. It disgusts me even as I write this. I'm not proud to admit it.

Well now, I have been without a job for over a year, and, even though I have some money, there are times when I am overdrawn with only rice and a cracker and maybe some applesauce in my cupboards.

But You know what? I am the happiest I have ever been. Pride died a slow death for me, but I sang at the funeral and kissed it goodbye. It's all good.

Granted, I'm 57, and I just really do not GIVE a rat's ass, but that's another thread.....I am rich with friends, a daughter who loves me and a puppy who gives me kisses.

Last edited by Diva; 06-28-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: I didn't THINK "cubbards" looked right! lol
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post: