View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #2012
Scots_On_The_Rocks

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, them, theirs
Relationship Status:
Owned by a few cats, Loved by one woman, and Looked up to by one child.

Thanked 1,095 Times in 388 Posts
Scots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST Reputation

This is a soup I grew up on and still to this day love to make and enjoy.

Kase Knoephla Soup

Ingredients:

FILLING:

2 c. dry-curd cottage cheese (can be substituted with equal amount of ricotta cheese)
1 egg, beaten
2 tblsp. grated parmesan
2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed or very finely chopped

DOUGH:

2-1/2 cups flour
1 egg, beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water

BROTH:

1 16 oz. cans of chicken stock
1-2 c. heavy cream (as needed and according to taste)

GARNISH:

A handful of croutons (optional)
A pinch of salt and/or pepper (to taste)

Directions:

Mix together ingredients for filling in a medium sized mixing bowl.
Mix together ingredients for dough until you have a nice elasticity to the dough (not too dry nor too sticky).
Spread some flour on a flat surface.
Roll dough about 1/4-inch thick, and cut into 4-inch squares.
Place a spoonful of filling on half of each square, then fold dough over and pinch sides together securely to make the dumplings.
Pour chicken stock into a large saucepan and bring to a low boil.
Put buttons into saucepan and cook for no more than 10 minutes. (They're done when they float to the top. Boil and handle gently, or they may come apart)
Remove dumplings from saucepan and let rest in individual serving bowls (usually 2-3 dumplings a piece will do.)
Add heavy cream, according to taste (usually I use about 1 1/2 cups), to sauce pan and stir to combine.
Ladle warm cream-stock mixture over dumplings.
Add croutons to the top of the bowl as garnish.
Season with salt and/or pepper as desired.
Enjoy.

NOTE: As that this recipe has been passed down to me via oral-tradition, the measurements have never been an exact science...so please bear with me in trying to standardize them for this recipe. And please feel free to tweak it to fit your needs. Thanks.

-Me

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark." ~ Henri Frederic Amiel
Scots_On_The_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scots_On_The_Rocks For This Useful Post: