Thread: Kavenaugh OMG
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 03:38 PM   #67
WheatToast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her

WheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gráinne View Post
I, like everyone else, has been following this cesspool of a confirmation process since go.

If I have it right, this is partly about Kavanaugh's character, but more broadly, that he is conservative out the yin-yang. If Trump wins re-election in 2020, and with a couple other Justices looking long in the tooth, the broad fear is that he will be in a position to eviscerate Roe v. Wade and shift the Supreme Court for years, way after his term. I hear and can understand that fear.

With that being said, my immediate fear is that Kavanaugh was guilty until proven innocent-by the media, by women (including here), and by Democratic senators on the committee and in the whole Senate body. Of course, no matter his looking-more-inevitable confirmation, his reputation has already been smeared. This has to have been hell on his family, who obviously weren't in the picture when he was 17-18.

I believe something happened to Dr. Ford, just because of the fact that few women (and more than a few men) get out of their teens without some kind of sexual incident against their will, including me. I withhold judgement on Kavanaugh simply because her story changes, and there is no corroborating witnesses or credible evidence to support her story.

And therein lies my fear. If last Thursday is the level of "proof" needed to ruin someone's career and personal life, then let's toss out the judicial system right now. To some, he has a big target called "successful white guy" on his back. That was a lynching, and no, I don't apologize for the strong words. If we as a country have come down to political lynchings, I have great fear indeed.

I wrote a lengthy reply to this earlier, but rather than wade into a debate I fear would be an exercise in futility, I will be brief.
Though the Judge will probably be seated on the highest court in the land in spite of the objections of the American Bar Association, his church, a former Supreme Court Justice, 100 different judges and millions of Americans, the negative attention and tarnished reputation he has earned was brought on ONLY by himself and his lack of mature temperament, the out of control sobbing, the disrespect he showed Senators, the yelling, the self pitying, and the rank, paranoid partisanship he showed in his rage filled rebuttal.
I pity his family and friends, but not because Dr. Ford tarnished his halo, I pity them because he seems to be without sincerity, principles, or even the integrity not to lie to Congress.

He weak apology today made it worse.
WheatToast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to WheatToast For This Useful Post: