Old 12-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #24
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,776 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Gemme/Sweet&Content: This re-enforces my belief that we do truly judge a book by it's cover (I'll admit it -- I buy books based on how much the cover appeals to me or the blurb on the back does). Is this bad? Well, in some ways it denies us interaction with others who may actually be nice and interesting but have an interest in "dark" and "brooding" avatars/pictures.

Do either of you use the ignore feature or your own mental ignore feature on such persons so you never see their posts? if not, after reading their posts do you change your mind? if you choose to ignore, do you ever change your mind when you see others who quote them in posts?

Gemme: Agreed. It is that, as I mentioned, "judging a book by it's cover" concept. Whether this is bad or not, I dunno. Part of it I can see as a protective thing and as a feeling connected with those of like-minded viewpoints (I like some sparkle but I do like the brooding stuff too -- yes, I'm weird that way). At the same time, it makes me think that we limit our experience when we limit our interaction (the exception to this is when we have to limit our exposure for our own good or to avoid conflict with those we know we don't "play well with").
I've never used the ignore feature. Ever. I'd like to say it's because I'm open-minded and all kum by yah, but it's mostly because I'm of the Jerry Springer era and nosy as all get out. I HAVE to know what is going on, what people are saying and who's going to get into it now.

There are certain people who, over time, have irritated me to the point where once I see it's a post of theirs, I will skip over it. That happens rarely though and is because I HAVE spent time with them, in this medium, and KNOW that they are asshats for one reason or another.

Judging one another from a distance is definitely a self-preservation tactic. Whether it's sure to be a case of death by boredom if I read XYZ's post or whether I am sure to go postal on them for their arrogance/ignorance/general natural selection kind of stupidity, it's in my best interest not to spend online time around XYZ. In that circumstance, I'd definitely do what I could to avoid them and their posts, but not at the expense of my own enjoyment. I wouldn't abandon a particular thread forever if they came in and took control over it.

There are many, many people in our community who have felt outcast and unwanted and have been treated quite horribly throughout their lives. I think, when they see someone's avatar for the first time, the things that are similar to what brought them comfort during their lives is what they'll be drawn towards. Well, not just those people. All of us.

We all instinctively seek comfort. For some, comfort is brought by way of discomfort and pain and darkness. For others, it's sunshine and Cheerios. For others, it's sparkles and glitter and gumdrops. I'm like you; I like both sides of the duct tape (light and dark). After all, it sticks just the same, right?

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote