View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #48
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieisafemme View Post
This idea of humanness has really caught me. I think I identify as a woman first and human second. I guess I can't imagine being devoid of my gender. My reproductive function is a filter for my self image. I don't find that to be a problem. I love my femaleness and the fact that I carried my child and labored to bring her here and fed her.

You said in another post that "Feminism is about creating a world where those sexed female at birth are allowed to grow up as fully human." I am trying to understand this. Do you mean that feminism's goal is to eradicate gender? Can one grow up to be fully human and a woman as well?
Your reproductive function is a function of your sex, not your gender.

Feminism makes a distinction between sex and gender.
Sex: anatomy and physiology
Feminism seeks to detach social role expectations from anatomy.
Social role expectations based on anatomy uphold male supremacy.

Social constructs like gender are malleable. Feminism is concerned with dismantling gender as a social construction used to uphold sex-based apartheid.
What gender may look like after removing the sex-based caste system currently attached is irrelevant to feminism..

The only concern of feminism is making sure kids like Pop have all the same human rights and privileges accorded them regardless of their reproductive anatomy.

Do I know of any culture where girls grow up with all the same human privileges and rights as boys? I can’t say that I do. Do you?
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post: