View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #16
Ascot

How Do You Identify?:
Preppy Butch artist
Relationship Status:
She’s wild about me.

Thanked 2,487 Times in 549 Posts
Ascot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedivahrrrself View Post
I think this may be why so many femmes (including myself) get so defensive of the butch folks in our lives.

I went to the fair last year with my butch friend. We decided to use the restroom. Me, his sister (who is kind of androgynous), and his niece waited in line for the bathrooms, but he walked across the fair to the portapotties. I asked his sister why, and she said it's because he has encountered problems in the bathroom several times before. I immediately got mad. I would stick a heel in someone's head for giving my friend shit! And if the person being attacked was my lover, I would probably even ruin a pair of Louboutins!!

But I'm a fighter. I've been out in Oklahoma since I was a teen, and I don't care much about what people I don't know think of me. I know some people aren't wired that way, and I know some people are tired of having to fight.

I see the things you're talking about. I see men look like they are ready to fist fight when a butch woman walks into their store. What can we femmes do? Every instinct I have says to hold tight to your hand and ask that fucker what he's staring at! In the bathrooms, I've noticed that just the act of me saying "no, she's in the right place" will generally keep things from escalating.

So a good question for you who feel the sting of ultra-visibility, is there anything your gf's or femme friends can do to show their support in these situations?

Maybe this is just a case of the grass being greener, but I think I'd prefer the perks of visibility. There really aren't any perks to invisibility as I see it.
You pose great questions. My first inclination is to say that probably the best thing to be done is to simply act as though nothing out of the ordinary is occurring, because when it comes down to it, nothing is. As an aside, on behalf of the butch nation, I want to issue the most sincere and deeply felt gratitude to every fierce femme who has ever taken umbrage when they perceive a butch has been mistreated. To every brave woman who has taken a stand in defense of someone wronged because somehow they don't quite fit someone else's idea of acceptable, normal, safe or decent, you have my utmost respect. Regarding what's to be done, I suppose it comes down to the specifics of the situation, the offense and the parties involved, doesn't it? Mostly, just be there for us. Allow us our reactions, concerns and vulnerabilities. If you want to punch someone in the neck, I'll hold your purse and have your back. (No, of course I'm not actually advocating violence) Just be with us. You might be amazed at how much of a balm just your existence and love is. For that, many of us would willingly walk through hell. Many of us do.

The visibility vs. invisibility thing...I really don't know what to say about that. Both have their pros and cons, don't they.