Old 01-16-2018, 05:27 PM   #49
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathexis View Post
Know how you feel about going an out of state surgeon. I've gone to VT round trip once now I have another appointment for a follow-up (why I don't know why whatever couldn't have been done the first visit), then the top surgery and immediate post-op follow up. How long will that last? I am a SICU RN, and know how to pull a drain. I just won't know at what point he will want it pulled. Can't really afford to spend a week at a motel or hostel (if I can find one).

Wonder how many office visits before the surgery. It costs me $100 a pop for each trip, and the driver is iffy. Like I have an appt. at the end of the month, and she still hasn't given me an answer as to whether or not she can take me. It's 2 hrs. away so I can't just get a ride at the drop of a hat. Not only do I have to worry about the appt. but how I'm going to get there. and what's going to happen after surgery. I have 2 cats to worry about, too. My Partner won't just leave me in Burlington, and go back home to care for the cats. I know Her.

Dapper, what usually happens from this point? Do I have the surgery on the appt. after this one? How long will I need to hang around Burlington? It takes how long until the drains come out...the sutures? How much pain should I be in? Do I need pain meds.? I'm a little scared right now. Please! Oh, and by the way you were right about GQ, just not talking about it with anyone, yet.
cathexis
Hey, Bud. I don't know if your surgeon will schedule your surgery after this appointment.
I have never heard of a surgeon asking for a second appointment, so I have no idea. We have already talked about this guy, though. You know my concerns.

I was right about GQ? What does GQ mean?

The surgeon may not use drains. If they do, yes they pull them at 7 days post op. Most surgeons expect people to stay in the area for a week. However, if you are only two hours away, maybe you can just stay one night and then go home the day after. Then just travel back for the post op appt. I strongly recommend you stay at least one night.

You can see if you can get this surgeon to let your PCP pull your drains, but I can't imagine a surgeon being ok with not having any post op appointments.

They use dissolvable sutures.

Some people have a lot of pain, some don't. I do not have a high pain tolerance (when looking at other surgeries), yet I only took pain meds for the first few days (don't remember how many days, exactly), and then went to Tylenol. I assume your surgeon will prescribe you pain meds.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote