Old 06-22-2011, 02:58 AM   #52
intrigue_in916

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine Lesbian Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
just dont refer to me as a 'YOU PEOPLE' or say'HEY YOU' to me
Relationship Status:
single

intrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
Exactly.

Hiya Heart.... Your post made me think about how the use and misuse of language shapes our self-concept, and our understanding of ourselves in the world, in overt and covert ways.

Gender training starts at birth. A zillion old and new studies confirm that: Boy and girl babies are spoken to and treated differently, described TO themselves differently, by care givers and the world around them. This profoundly affects self-perception; our understanding of who we are in a gendered world.

I often wonder how I might have evolved had I not been tagged a "tomboy" in childhood. I suspect I would have been spared certain inorganic experiences and freed to explore others that were more organic to me.

We become unwitting (if not witting) agents of dominant culture constructs/values when we use it's language to describe ourselves and one another.

As always, thanks for the thought provoking post, Heart.
SEXY isnt just a femme thing, because I know hot sexy butch women. However by that persons own definition of their sexuality, some ppl arent comfortable with some nouns or pro~nouns,that others may 'SAY' to describe who they see. All we have to say is ...im not comfortable when you call me ... or say to me, whatver it is your not comfy with. Does that make sense, to anyone, but me? cuz now I feel kinda dorky But with an opinion.

Intriguinglyours
intrigue_in916 is offline   Reply With Quote