View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #50
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
Hey Heart,

Hope it's ok to tease this out a little more.

I also believe that women exist on a gender spectrum that is as diverse as it is prolific.
Im wondering if, in the article, Cynthia had referred to her partner as "Trans" if the "man with boobs" comment would mean something different to you? What if her partner comes out as Trans in a few days? Would that feel any different when trying to name something on our gender spectrum that may exist in a completely different capacity on someone else's?
Because to me, it does make a difference how that person identifies, if the comment was ok for their way of being or if it was an insensitive, erasing snip.
More thoughts..
What I'm talking about has nothing to do with Cynthia's partner's id. It doesn't matter if she's butch, trans, andro, sporty or none of those. It's the way Cynthia chose to describe her masculine female partner as a MAN because that is the only way she can be understood since masculinity CANNOT, apparently belong to a women. That's my point.

Now. If her partner was, in fact, a man and/or if she came out as a transman tomorrow, the interesting thing is that I think we'd hear a whole lot of hulabaloo about how transphobic Nixon's comment was. Would any of us refer to Chaz Bono or any of our FtM brethern as "men with boobs?" It would be considered highly disrespectful.

And that's my other point: the privileging of men/male identity over women/female identity.

Heart
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post: