Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,588 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Chapters 10-12 are fairly excruciating! The Christmas scenes are so bittersweet because you really see how Morton is a part of her and start to understand how unfair it is that she will never be able to play the role her father did, even though that should be her birthright.

And Martin! This resonates with me on this second reading, because there was a time after the first time I read it that I considered going back to men— I had only had three lesbian relationships and all three had featured violence. I felt like maybe I should not choose this life if it was possible to avoid it. The reactions of my straight family and acquaintance to this idea was disgustingly enthusiastic and made me hate them a little and made me determined to never consider straightness again no matter how many women hit me. The reactions of Stephen’s acquaintance to her friendship with Martin was a flashback to that time for me.

And of course there were the times after that brief reconsideration when I used to think I could have male friends, who would always eventually get to the point Martin reached and disappoint me.