Old 12-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #69
Redsunflower

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Redsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLovelyJenn View Post
Has anyone every had to fight to get proper care for their loved one... whether in a home or a school? I fear this is the path I am headed down right now, and I am not sure how much of a fight its worth... Or how much of a fight I can handle.

My son is in 4th grade... he has severe behavior needs due to autism, adhd, and an impulse disorder... and I found out this last week that they are restraining him unneccessarily, and doing it improperly at that. I don't know how much of a fight this is going to be... and I am wondering if it will even be worth it, or if I should just find somewhere else for him to go to school...
Hi there JustLovelyJenn

So sorry to hear you're having a difficult time with your son's school. How difficult for you, and him. I'm not sure how much help I can be; I live in Britain and I'm guessing you're in the states. However, if you lived here, this is what would happen.

An educational psychologist would be involved who has a good understanding of the educational needs of children with adhd, asd and associated behavioural difficulties. They would co-ordinate a consistent approach, in consultation with yourself, and follow this up throughout your child's schooling. Does his school have one of those?

Failing that, you could go back to the psychologist that diagnosed him. If he's on meds you may have contact with that person anyway, and ask them to help by contacting the school.

If it's all too much and nobody is listening, in Britain you could contact a social worker to fight those battles for you.

It's all so stressful but will be so worth it once your son is more settled. Best of luck with it and let me know how you get on.

Rxx
Redsunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redsunflower For This Useful Post: