Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

My household had two rescued kats who lived a long time, pass away in the last year. I went to the humane society knowing I was coming home with a pet or two. I had an open mind.

The place was packed. They had more animals than they had room. The restrooms had cages in them! They had rabbits, ferrits dogs and cats galore. It was hard for me to decide as I love all animals.

Then I saw the decision maker. A big beautiful tabby Kat
with a sign on her cage 7 yrs old, free to a good home. She had been there for 6 months.

Living in a kennel, yes, it's better than the streets or worse......but it's not a way of life. This adorable tabby was a family pet. She was declawed on all four paws and obviously heartbroken she had to be given up. She gained 7 pounds in 6 months living in a 4 foot by 4 foot
cage. She became an emotional eater. She was 25 1/2 pounds when I brought her home.

As I was filling out the paper work, and telling the staff I had room for another one, I was all set up with cat nappers and kat condo's times two of every thing. They told me they had another 7 year old declawed kat that had spent too much time there, in fact he was very shut down. He would require a tremendous amount of patience. They cautioned me, *He was a hitter*. I asked if he ever bit anyone. *No*. Remember, no front nails.
I told them I'd take him (sight unseen).

I set him up in his own room with a window and a kat condo and a kat napper, plus all the other amenities he would need. The humane society lent me a baby gate, so he could slowly get used to his new house.

I gave the humane society a hundred dollars, even though they were not asking an adoption fee for my two teenagers. They were so well taken care of, as over crowded as that place was, and as long as they lived there.

I've had them 90 plus days, and they are doing well. I hope they have no memories of life in the shelter. Tabby is down to 24 pounds.....and my boy kat is an awesome athlete and has never once *Hit* me. He still won't let me pick him up but he's tolerating me stealing kisses.

Just like with Children, it's harder for the shelters to find homes for the older pets. I don't understand why. I'm so glad I was able to bring these two into my life.

As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be??
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post: