View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 08:50 PM   #4561
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfem View Post
Yesterday I walked 8K steps which I counted as one hour, and I also did 15 minutes on the stairmaster.

Yesterday it was parent teacher night for my school so I had a significant break in between the end of the school day and the evening meetings. Thus I walked to a different branch of my gym. The walk was pretty unpleasant weather-wise. It was humid and raining, but not raining hard, more like needles that make you squint. It was exciting to go to a branch of my gym I'd never been to before. All I had time for was 15 minutes, and it was a good workout. I felt like Superman. It was exciting to use that time for a new gym adventure. Why did I feel like Superman? Because of the aspect of changing clothes and putting on a different identity to do something special to me.

My walking today was 14,500K steps which I counted as 1 hr and 50 min. Today for the first time I walked home through Central Park from work instead of walking through where the cars go. Oh my goodness, it was amazing. I walked right at the perimeter of the park and did not get lost. Not only that, I found a very straightforward beautiful trail that included ducks, geese, lake, rocks, and even a waterfall. It was just a gorgeous and peaceful walk, and the weather was perfect fall-like weather. I did not even know this part of Central Park existed. I also had a red, white, and blue popsicle during the walk that I bought at one of the stands. It was a magnificent afternoon. And now I can always walk that trail home when time and weather permit. A world opened up for me!
Congratulations on exploring!

Trying new things to upend old routines can go either way but it sounds like you scored a double positive. I think your new route for walking through the park and being in a more natural environment sounds fantastic. Kudos to you for experimenting, I hope you continue that path and maybe even find some others to add to your repertoire.

So, for the last three days since my last check in I show Wednesday at 21,190 steps, Thursday at 9781, and today at 19,684. Wednesday and today were out at the beach and Thursday I had an appointment and errands so that was just walk around time.

One thing I should note is that those step counts are for the whole day not just my outdoor walk and do not include the end of the day after I post although granted I’m usually just sitting around reading or watching something. So 5k-ish for just puttering around the house.

I was asked if I could speed up my outdoor walk time to go faster than 25 minute miles. Of course! I could lengthen my stride, put a little more pep in my step, or just quit dawdling over every little shiny thing. I know I’m posting in the exercise thread but for right now my focus is actually on mental health and well-being over physical accomplishment. The most recent last few years have been pretty bumpy for me psychologically and I am working on putting myself back together. Right now my goal is 2 to 4 hours per day outdoors in a natural environment preferably while moving my body around.

I think I would like to up my game in the not too distant future towards more physically challenging activities. Sort of thinking about this winter and trying a little running on the beach. We’ll see, I’m taking it easy for the moment.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post: