View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #182
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
He’s my boo bear.

Thanked 32,056 Times in 9,969 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Interesting article tonight concerning tax platform ideas

Democrats' Tax Plans Reflects Profound Shift In Public Mood

by Matt Viser | The Washington Post (click on link above for article)

I found an article tonight, published about thirty minutes ago, and it features some of the platform ideas proposed by several Democratic Presidential contenders, concerning money/inequality/tax evasion etc.

I think what I found myself nodding in agreement to was an idea expressed by Senator Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio): Brown is stressing middle-class tax cuts and overhauling the tax code to punish companies that cut wages or ship jobs overseas. I can see how Brown's view about doing something like this would provide better oversight and transparency (if one could say that), by overhauling the tax code... like propose this idea of his as a part of a more wide reaching tax reform type House Bill.

But the tricky part of this idea Brown proposes is that how does one reign in corporate business with this type of tax reform because while it's a good idea to foster big business employers to remain located in the US and not dislocate workers who've been on the job (for years, most likely -- think Detroit-MI, Elkhart-IN, Pittsburg-PA, or even Daimler or shipping yards or iron workers or construction workers, etc), I think that lots of people living in the mid-west, or wherever big business employers are generally found, are the vanishing middle-class, if there's a middle class at all. Most of America can be understood to be a majority of citizens, who are widely recognized as "the working poor." (I am, I've never had a fabulous paying job, ever in my life).

I sometimes understand the topic concerning platform politics, but sometimes I get lost trying to understand.

The article covers ideas by Sen. Warren, Sen. Ocasio-Cortez, Sen. Booker, Sen. Guillibrand, Sen. Harris, Sen. Sanders, and a few other people who weigh in on certain platform ideas by the senators featured in the article.

Lots to think about, but I do think that reforming the tax code to hold plutocrats, cazillionaires, etc, accountable so that they invest in people, the economy, and keep business here in the US is a good idea. We've all read news accounts of those who have sheltered their profits/income streams/etc by not paying taxes or investing in their employees and the US economy in general. I'd like to see that change and for the ordinary person to be able to earn a decent living, and actually not have to fret and worry about when the next check comes, will there be anything left to buy food or pay the bills in timely ways (…..).

I don't know about anyone else, but if the SOTU address is aired this week, I am SOOOOOO looking forward to hearing the rebuttal given by Stacy Abrams.

______ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: