betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Honestly, I would keep doing what you are doing. My father drove long distance for YEARS when I was a child and that alone is what took my parents from being people who could barely feed themselves and pay their rent - to being people who owned their own house (and recently purchased a second house up north that they will move to when they retire)

You have to think of the long term. You're currently in a position where you know you will be able to retire early - that's AMAZING!

And you know what else? Distance really can make the heart grow fonder. My parents were always so happy to see each other whenever my dad got back that my mom says their relationship felt new and exciting for much longer than most people's relationships do.

If she's feeling pressure from not having help with her kid while you're away, think of different ways to get the pressure off of her. When I was little I used to go with my dad all over North America - sometimes we'd be gone for up to two weeks at a time. And I know that helped my mom a lot, especially when my sister was still a baby. My dad made it fun for me, too. We'd stop at every shitty roadside attraction from Toronto to Arkansas and back. He let me play with the CB radio while he drove (although I guess your girlfriend's kid is too old to get a kick out of that). When I was small I probably ate at nearly every truck stop in North America, and I gotta tell you those are some of the best memories I've got of my childhood.

Maybe during the summer or spring break or whatever your girlfriend's kid could go with you once in a while to take some of the pressure off of her. And if your relationship is going to be any sort of a permanent fixture in your life the bonding opportunity you two would have on the road would be priceless.