View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #50
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I wouldn't characterize older people without enough means to get through retirement as irresponsible. A lot of pensions have been reduced, especially medical benefits. Many people count on social security, but it is nearly impossible to make it on that. To have saved on top of paying into social security is really necessary, but a lot of people lost everything in the housing bust. Many folks' entire savings outside of social security were tied up in their homes, and many people lost their homes, not just those who took subprime loans. Or the homes are worth much less than they were before. Lots of hardworking people are underwater on their homes, and most Americans' wealth is tied up in their homes.

And a lot of people lost jobs in the recession. The jobs they got after that were not as good. Those who didn't lose their homes are living close to the edge. Bill Moyers does a good piece on this nearly every month. Millions and millions of Americans barely pay their bills every month.

And getting a job over 50? That is unbelievably hard for most people even in high demand fields.
I was actually trying to be a little tongue in cheek. I agree 100% with you. I was implying that not all adult children who move back with parents are irresponsible just as older folks who lost it all in the recent economic slide are not irresponsible either. And no in no way would I expect an elderly person to go out and find work when people my age (52) are having an almost impossible time due to age already. I have several friends in impossible situations due to the very reasons you list.

I was highlighting some of the seemingly answerless problems we are facing. I was saying the same thing as you are here as an "other side of the coin", how a younger person could see it.

It's hard to convey tone in text.

Last edited by Kelt; 09-08-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: correction
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post: