atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

Heh. I knew my post was going to get some conversation going. I guess I need to clarify a couple things because I didn't do this very well in what I said before.

A) I don't believe that privilege is something I can choose not to have. Once I have physically transitioned to the point that I can be stealth, I will have no more control over how people treat me than I do now. I understand this fully. Sorry if I made it seem like I am under the wrong impression.

B) If I enjoy being treated with more kindness and openness and treated better, that won't make me a bad person per se. What I was asking in my last post is really, where does this fit in my own personal sense of responsibility to be an advocate for transgender rights in my community, my country?

C) I do not plan to wear rainbows all over myself and introduce myself as Drew, the transguy. I am just Drew. I think its going to be a case by case basis for me with whom and where to be out.

I just feel a need, inwardly, to be visible in a political way. Does that make sense to anyone? I know that there are places in the United States where it is dangerous for people like me to be out. I don't plan to place myself in harmful situations just to make a point. I just strongly believe that being as out as I can be, as out as makes sense for me, is the right thing to do to further the cause of equal rights for sexual and gender minorities.

If we all come out, we win. I don't say this to pass judgment on others or to preach to people. I say it because it's true and it needs to be said. The words feel uncomfortable coming out of my mouth, believe me! I am scared when I think about it, because after all, I am taking T and had one surgery and planning another surgery not only for me to feel right in my body, but also so that other people will see the real me. This isn't something that I already know how I will navigate, personally. I just feel that being as out as I can where it makes sense to do so is the right thing to do - for ME.

I hope this makes some sense. It's 4 a.m. so please don't hold it against me if it doesn't.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post: