View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
It's interesting that as an adult educator transitioning on the job isn't an issue but I think those that do transition and are teachers for children face far more judgement of their "skill/ability" than adult educators. I think there is some kind of mythos where people believe the negative hype around trans individuals (e.g., mentally unstable, deviants, etc.)
Agreed.

It really is painfully frustrating to think about it. So much doesn't make sense about the thought processes, the reasoning (and lack of), and the reactions.

I believe that once we have those protections in place, we still have to look at an employer's responsibility in *not* disclosing certain information. So... I can see post-transition individuals being hired in K-12 education (and hopefully protected). However, I still think we are a long, long, long way away from K-12 educators being able to peacefully transition *on* the job.

Linus, does your employer have a non-discrimination policy in place that cites sexual orientation *and* gender identity?