View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
Signmypapyrus

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Signmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST Reputation

This is interesting.

I had a conversation with a young woman who identifies as bisexual (in a relationship with a man) and she “came out” as “fat” to me. What I mean is, she both told me she feels people only see her weight and, as a result, she feels she must perform. So she always wears dresses, makeup, etc.
I began to reflect on this and realized that my other friends or other women I know often do this. A close friend said she always dresses up because she’s insecure about her weight and dressing up makes her feel better. So, it seems to be multi-faceted and performative for an audience as well as the self.

One friend’s insecurities stretched so far as her desire to be catcalled— she’s never had that attention and for so many women, including myself, it’s routine. She began to invite it, which alarmed me.