christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post
I did something shameful.

I would sometimes drive to the closest major city that had a large queer community (multiple times) with my rainbow sticker on (it was one where you can just peel it off) and took it off when I drove back home to my smaller town.

I work for a Catholic School Board. (which is actually PUBLICLY funded due complicated reasons). I still burn with redness that I actually reached back and peeled it off before I hit my city--my apt. was very close to my school at the time.

There's more shame than that but I wanted to share that feeling of peeling off the sticker--when I had my first queer relationship--so NO ONE would KNOW that I had a female lover.

Thanks for sharing your stories of rainbow/queer stickers or visible signs of being part of the LGBTQI community.
HSIN -

Please don't look at your actions as something to be ashamed of - heaven knows we carry enough of that crap.

I think we have all, at one time or another, had to compromise or live with some type of secrecy in order to survive. We have folks such as myself who tried, however successfully or unsuccessfully, to live the het life planned/expected of us. We have male ID'd butches who don skirts or other feminine attire to conform to workplace expectations and I don't believe these things should be judged. At the end of the day, we do what we have to do, at the time. Until the world catches up, I don't see some of the personal compromises going away.

Ain't no room for shame in your game!

... end derail
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post: