View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #465
o222Good

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married

o222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
a questions for our wonderful educators New York state has adopted the common core curriculum. Many may elementary school children are struggling with it especially in the math. homework every night and it is hard, my daughter is doing well very well but she always excelled but even she is frustrated and worried about her friends who are having a hard time. We also just got the test scores for the start of the year and she was very high in math and also in the english language arts but rated as meets standards this child who in the 4th grade reads at a 10th grade level and is currently on the second book of the hunger games. many parents are up in arms about this new common core kids not wanting or having stress over homework and kids hating school so what are your thoughts

Hi Bard, I've been teaching in NYC for over 16 yrs and believe I have seen it all! lol To me, this is just another 'new' thing. I will survive! I don't mean to sound jaded, but this has been the cycle of education since the 1950s. I am a good teacher; I know, my students know, and my administrators know I'm a good teacher. So, I just bear with every new fad that comes along. In a nutshell, here's the dish in NYC
http://www.uft.org/news/comedy-error...table-material

On another note, has anyone seen The American Teacher? [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzvD9v7CbEE"]AMERICAN TEACHER: Official Trailer - YouTube[/nomedia] It is on Netflix and Hulu. I thought it was amazing. I wonder what other educators think.
o222Good is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to o222Good For This Useful Post: