Laerkin

How Do You Identify?:
Girlie with a touch of bossy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, but not hung up on the details
Relationship Status:
Parenting our furry family with SmoothButch

3 Highscores

Laerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST Reputation

This is very timely for me. Simple, yet powerful, questions Tranzman! Something I've been spending a lot of time examining lately, too.

1. Do you nurture yourself? If so, what are the ways you do so?
Not nearly as often as I should. Lately, I've been consciously making an effort to get regular massages (I found an amazing masseuse near me), to set aside time to read a really good book, and roughly two times a year I go on a yoga or nurturing retreat to Kripalu or Omega.

2. Do you rely on your partner/family/friends to nurture you?
No. I mean, it's nice when it happens, and I know my partner/family/friends support me no matter what - but nurturing is different than support and I feel like it's something I really need to work on giving to myself rather than seeking it from the outside.

3. Do you feel that you adequately learned how to nurture your self when you were growing up?
Oh no. Growing up I was the "mom" of the household so while it really helped me to develop a sense of independence, strength, and autonomy I also never really had a chance to just focus on myself. That didn't come until I'd moved out of the house and then I realized, "Holy crap. This self-nurturing stuff takes work, and time, and practice!"

4. Do you feel any sort of discomfort about nurturing yourself?
There are some days when I'm on overload and the nurturing is just going to happen and then I feel okay about it. But most of the time, I feel little pangs of discomfort...like, instead of getting a massage or going away for a few days to do yoga and eat organic food in the mountains I could be working on the house or working on my checkbook or helping out my loved ones or...there's always a reason for me not to take care of myself, so I've been trying to practice. Isn't that odd? Practice taking care of myself. LOL.

5. Do you think that this whole self nurturing thing is just new age stuff and not even something worth talking about?
You know, a couple hundred years ago self-nurturing may have been ridiculous or out of place. But now, in this go-Go-GO society we have I think self-nurturing is imperative. We need to slow down, be with ourselves, find space to quiet our mind, release stress, find out what's going on inside once we disconnect and unplug. I think it makes us more whole and healthy. I think it makes us better at caring for others when we aren't frazzled and a minute away from coming undone. It's important emotionally, spiritually, and mentally.
Laerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laerkin For This Useful Post: