Old 10-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #24
Penelope

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
In Love♥

Penelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST Reputation
Default My experiences with butches/FTMs & breasts

I have been with a FTM who elected to have top surgery (and a hysterectomy) to align his physical body with his mental spirit. He had a referral from a therapist and chose a surgeon in a geographical area that worked for him. It is considered elective, outpatient surgery so he paid for it himself and went to a hotel to recover, where we monitored his healing. On a side note, when he had the hysterectomy, though he identified as FTM and had changed all of his paperwork to reflect male (if I remember correctly), he was still placed on a women's floor to recover and referred to as "she". Some of the nurses made an attempt to change the pronoun once we explained but others didn't get it (we were in Florida for this surgery).

My current partner who does not identify as FTM but like many of you, did not want breasts, chose to have the surgery in Toronto with a plastic surgeon who works with a local cosmetic surgery facility. I felt like they were more accommodating and respectful to us. He does not have gender dysphoria, is too old to bother with a hysterectomy and has no intentions of going on T. We did need some kind of referral which proved to be difficult as he was not seeing a therapist but I think eventually got one from his doctor. He had to pay for it himself as there were no medical reasons for doing so.