Long-time Member

How Do You Identify?:
WIB - woman identified butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your choice...not really a button for me
Relationship Status:
♡ married 1/1/2019♡

Thanked 6,840 Times in 1,621 Posts
Mel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST Reputation

Let me start off by saying that I don't have a great track record with LDR's. Despite that, I think I've figured out a few things that work for me.

1) Being mindful. Focusing on the present without trying to analyze or judge my thoughts and feelings is a new concept for me. My previous relationships were focused on an end game...living together, marriage or some other formal commitment.

2) Being present. Engagement in my partner's activities helps me feel more connected. Just because we are thousands of miles apart doesn't mean I don't want to know how her day at work went or what she had for dinner. We spend more time on FaceTime than I nave spent with people I date in real-time.

3) Being committed - making plans for the next visit is really important to me. We don't have to focus on the separation if we know when we will be together again. This step also includes making sure she knows I am committed to her. She has to be treated as a priority.

4) Being open. This includes being honest about the hardships. Separation is difficult, more at some times than others. I can talk about it (or hear about it) without wallowing in self pity over the situation.

I'm having a 'moment' and can't remember what else I was going to say. I'll be back if there are any epiphanies.

Last edited by Mel C.; 09-07-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Mel C. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mel C. For This Useful Post: