How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,161 Times in 5,131 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
The Girl Scouts of the United States of America filed a trademark infringement lawsuit against BSA in November. The organization argued that only it has "the right to use the Girls Scouts and Scouts trademark with leadership development services for girls."
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
GSA is wrong for this. Even if they have a case, they should not press it. There is nothing they could lose, infringement-wise, to BSA that won't be further imperiled by appearing to erect barriers to opportunities for the very constituency they serve.
I agree, but unfortunately trademark law doesn't work that way. If you have a trademark and you don't protect it against _every_ violation, you lose your rights to protect it from anybody at all; i.e., if Girl Scouts doesn't bring legal action against the Boy Scouts, any group anywhere could start calling themselves Girl Scouts and selling cookies, and there would be nothing the Girl Scouts could do about it.

That said, I expect they will work out something legally protecting both parties.

Also, I have a (girl) friend who always wanted to be a Boy Scout. All her brothers were Scouts, and her dad was a Scout Master. She didn't want to join Girl Scouts at all. (I assured her that her impression of Girl Scouts was quite wrong - we did not just sit around knitting and baking cookies. Grrr - irritating misconception.) She didn't care - she had just wanted to do what her brothers did.

I expect it will eventually be a good thing, overall. At least, I hope so.

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post: