View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #84
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Just thought I'd sign myself into this thread, it looks like I'm going to be involved in this world to some degree or other for a while.

I'm leaving in the morning for what will be my second trip to deal with the aftermath of my fathers stroke. It's a long commute, a seven hour drive each way, to go see what can best be done about a bad situation. It's early days and all pretty surreal at this point. My folks are in their eighties and I am the only child, they have no friends or community, and it seems my mother may be failing as well. I had to put my father into skilled nursing mid-feb and my mothers behavior in the facility has led the management to suggest I have her tested for dementia. I made her an appointment with her regular Dr for Monday and will take her to it as I don't think she'd find the place on her own.

I'm incredibly thankful that they have resources (financially) to deal with all of this, but there is much more to it than that. I have to find housing for my mother either way. She's okay for a week or two if I set up everything in advance and she only has to get back and forth to the facility my father is in.

She doesn't seem to do much on her own so I have spent the day batch cooking healthy food to take over and stock her freezer, loaded the car with empty boxes to put in the garage for her eventual packing, and made appointments to get things like taxes, income streams, and possible housing options lined up.

I'm in the deep end of the pool and don't really know what to do other than everything. My plan at this point is to try to establish some kind of routine, one week there, two at home (to deal with my own stuff) and see if it works. I know it will get interrupted and changed with circumstances but just need to pretend to myself that I've got some kind of handle on things. For this next week while I am there I will just focus on keeping moving and doing the best I can figure out how to do.

Thanks for listening.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post: