View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 11:44 PM   #93
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

It's really good to have this thread here. Princessbelle, you are right I am doing everything myself, I don't have any family to help as an only child. Part of the weirdness is that my parents don't seem like family to me either. They pushed me away long ago as unacceptable. They are old people I know who have no one else. The phone call I got from my mother about this stroke was the first time she's called me in twenty-six years. I have seen them every few years and spoken briefly on the phone with them (my instigation) every few months, I don't really know why. My father has always been psychologically abusive to both my mother and me. I got out, and have always felt protective of her even though she chose to not interact with me lest it upset him.

It's a long complicated story that is probably just like a hundred others, so the details don't matter that much. I do need to hire others but right now in this initial period of what I have learned is the "Medicare 100" first days, it feels like I don't have time to find the right people to hire. I know it will work out in the long run, but it's crunch time. I think what I am doing would be classed as geriatric manager of some sort. My father also has cancer (he was taken off his coumadin (warfarin) for surgery and that's what stroked him out) so I am trying to set up a transition to Medicare hospice + gap insurance to cover medical expenses when the 100 days are over. Room and board will be self pay at around $9k per month.

I am taking time for myself, that's part of my one on; two off schedule. I'll burn out quick if I don't. I am taking food with me so that I will eat healthy and so will my mother by example and the fact she doesn't want to cook. I do the best I can to get sleep and have no plans to move anywhere. The weeks that I am home I am planning and working on this but at least I can concentrate and take breaks in the flow. I will make sure they are both safe and comfortable and that their assets are protected.

I came to realize a few years ago that with my father there would never be a reconciliation, nor a cathartic clash of titans, as it had been in my head for so long. It was deflating and also hurt but I got over it. I am now coming to realize that there will never be a hallmark relationship with my mother in the aftermath of his death. That is kind of sinking in now along with the fact that she simply doesn't care. It's too late, the woman I thought I knew so many years ago isn't really in there anymore.

I've offered my mother everything from occasional part time to full time live in help and she says it would be too invasive. Yet she seems amenable to looking at assisted living or an "independent-retirement" apartment with supplemental help. Go figure. I know she is in a strange place emotionally where she can't quite grieve her husband of 60 years because technically he isn't dead. I've suggested support groups for either caregivers or widows (to be?). She has been cut off and isolated for a long time, and hearing loss isn't helping. She is timid and well trained to not think of herself. I know she can't live alone and the reason I took her to a Dr for dementia evaluation was so that I could figure out if I should get her something in regular assisted living or if I should get her into something that could provide memory care. They seem to be divided and I don't want to set her up to be in a place where she might make friends only to have it taken away because that place may not "do" memory problems. I also understand that there are medications that can help if it's caught early.

For now I only leave her for two weeks and make sure she has a full tank of gas, food, and a bunch of cash if she needs anything. There isn't much else I can do other than work as fast as I can to get her in a better situation and my next trip over I am setting appointments for just that.

Oy vey. Ramble, ramble. I guess that's what this thread is for.

If anyone actually made it through this, congratulations! You have a longer attention span than I do, I've written this down over three sessions, lol. Here's your prize.

Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post: