View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #95
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

For most of my adult life i took care of my folks financial and government paperwork, because one day they just looked at me and said " we don't get this anymore".

My mom fell one Christmas eve and broke her hip in the CVS parking lot, which required surgery and extensive rehab which required more decisions and every day visits and feeding my step-father. Then, my step-father became ill with kidney disease and heart disease...i took him to alll of his appointments including the appointments to put in his shunt for dialysis...then he had a massive heart attack, and my mom was forced to terminate life support.

My mom also had kidney disease which she told no one about, because if you don't think about it, it will all go away...until she wound up in the hospital with an emergncy shunt in her neck, and dialysis three times a week.

All of this occured as i began to become ill, and wound up with a triple by-pass! We began converting my mom's garage into a suite (she had a two bedroom house and we have a daughter) for my wife and i, and we moved in to care for my mom, who had quickly begun to go downhill...during all of this, my loving wife took care of both of us, got us moved, and began to work from
home.

My sister, ah my sister.

I think during the last 2 years of my Mom's life, my sister watched Mom for ONE DAY, and took her to dialysis ONE TIME when i had the flu. When she was in the hospital, full of fluid in her lungs and barely breathing (every couple of weeks) she took reports over the phone, and visited kind of hit and miss. Having a sibling certainly does not guarantee that you get support...something that was hard for me to take.

I worked full-time during all of this...my wife changed her schedule to work from home to make sure my Mom was safe and cared for...you know who suffered through all of this? My daughter! I had no time for my daughter, and for several years she was the one who got short changed the most.

I would gadly do it all again if it meant i had my mother back...but i have to say that was the most stress i have ever endured.

Do the best you can to take it one day at a time...and to just stop and breathe once in awhile.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post: