How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,409 Times in 6,877 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumaqueen View Post
Stairs , stairs, stairs! That's the key for hiking and backpacking. Stair master will give you a false sense of confidence when it comes time to do your first 10 mile day with a freshly loaded pack! That or Try long distance hiking with a loaded pack (30 lbs minimum if you plan on doing anything 3+ days). However there are some fun stair activities if you can find a place to train...why not set the goal of hiking the equivalent of Macchu Picchu - throw on the tunes and get busy!
When I lived in Asheville, my walking routine included stairs. When I moved to a little town nearby (Fairview) my routine included a mammoth mother of a hill (a mountain really) and two smaller (by comparison) hills also. I'm HOPEFULLY moving back to that town soon, and if I do, I will resume that routine, PLUS there was another monster hill further down the same road.
But yes, carrying a weighted pack is a good idea for conditioning. And will REALLY help me with my reality check of what I NEED to take hiking/backpacking and what I don't.

PS: I have always felt that machines were not as good as the real thing...I don't feel the same way after a hike as I do walking on a treadmill. It's as if the machine helps too much. It feels like your not really propelling your weight and fighting gravity in the same way. I'm SO glad I can save myself the stairmaster misery! Thanks