Old 12-18-2009, 02:48 AM   #1
hippieflowergirl

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~
Relationship Status:
~

hippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputation
Default Vegetarian & Vegan Recipe Swap

because vegetarians & vegans are often expected to put up with food that is some kind of frankensteined version of omniverous recipes, i'm looking for yumminess that is something you think you cant live without in your veggie household.

i'll start it with one of my faves

thai lettuce wraps

* fresh romaine lettuce (you can use any wide leaf lettuce you like but
romain is the best for this recipe in my opinion)
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 thumb-size piece galangal or ginger, grated
* 1 red chilli, de-seeded & finely sliced (optional if you dont like hot food)
* 2 shallots, sliced finely
* 1/2 cup firm or baked tofu, cut into "matchsticks"
* 1 carrot, grated or cut into thin strips
* 4-5 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
* 1/2 cup shredded cabbage (red is very good, but any type will work)
* 3 spring onions, sliced lengthwise into matchstick-like pieces
* 2 cups bean sprouts
* 2 Tbsp. lime juice (more if you want extra for toppings)
* 2 Tbsp. regular soy sauce
* 1 Tbsp. "vegetarian oyster sauce" (available at most Asian food stores)
* TOPPINGS:
* 1 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped if leaves are large
* 1/2 cup fresh dry roasted peanuts, roughly chopped or ground
* OTHER: 2 Tbsp. sesame oil for stir-frying

Preparation:

1. Drizzle small amount of oil into a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, galangal or ginger, chili, and shallots. Stir-fry one minute or until fragrant. Add a Tbsp. water whenever the wok/pan gets too dry instead of more oil.
2. Add tofu, carrot, shiitake mushrooms, cabbage, and spring onions. As you stir-fry, add the lime juice, soy sauce and oyster sauce. Stir-fry about 1 minute.
3. Push ingredients to the side of the wok or pan and add the bean sprouts and stir-fry briefly to heat. Then mix ingredients together.
4. Remove from heat and do a taste test for salt, adding soy or vegetarian oyster sauce if more saltiness is desired.
5. Put washed lettuce leaves, sir-fried filling, and the toppings in separate bowls/plates.
6. To assemble, take a whole lettuce leaf and place 1-2 heaping tablespoons of filling in the center. Top with a sprinkling of fresh basil and peanuts. Then wrap/curl up and eat. (definitely finger food so have lots of napkins/paper towels on hand.)
hippieflowergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hippieflowergirl For This Useful Post: