Old 12-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
friskyfemme

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
precious
Relationship Status:
down to earth

friskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
We have knapsacks and backpacks, perhaps it's time to stir the things around in the Purse to take a look at Femme Privilege.

Many of us "pass" as straight whether we want to or not.

There is a long list of privileges associated with being Femme in the outside world. Let's talk about them.
I also believe that privilege can be situational. i.e. Femme privilege looks very different on a website geared toward Butches, Femmes, and Queer folks than it does at the supermarket or on the job.

So there it is. Let's have a discussion between Femmes and Feminine-identified people to see if we can do a little unpacking.
I just I feel I have earned the 'priviledge'. I grew up in a large family where my Dad was a white collar worker and my mother a blue collar worker. My dad was violent and authoritarian. My mom was sweet, gentle, smart, artistic and could fix almost anything. I have inherited her traits. My MOM could dress to the 'nines' and fix a leaking sink. When I first came out, I presented as butch. Mainly I think because no matter how smart or competent I was a women I couldn't get ahead or be taken seriously because I was a small frame, very young looking, and femme. I saw that with my Mom being passed up for promotion by a younger inexperienced males. I didn't want to re live what mother went through. Also I wanted permission to protect myself, by making myself unattractive to hetro males. However, I didn't id as butch and felt I was acting out a role. It was a very special butch that swept me off my feet 40yrs ago. He accepted me for who I was. He allowed me to grow into my own. Unfortunately, I outgrew him. I continue to discover myself everyday. I have struggled, planned, and worked to develop ME. I have lived long enough to know that priviledge is earned. Position is given.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to friskyfemme For This Useful Post: